Prospect is the only city in Jefferson County to provide twice-a-week backdoor garbage and once-a-week back door recycling pickups. In addition, the City provides curbside once-a-week pickup of yard waste (leaves, grass, and small branches).
- Collection Schedules: Garbage is picked up twice a week at the back door; recycling is picked up once a week at the back door, as well. Garbage pickup is on Monday and Thursday for half of the City and on Tuesday and Friday for the remainder. Yard waste is collected on the first pickup of the week. Recycling pickup is on the second sevice day of the week. Call the City Hall, 228-1121, to determine your days. See information at right regarding holidays and winter changes.
- Recycling: Recyclables are sorted by the City's contractor when they are picked up - residents do not need to sort such items themselves. The City loans each resident a recycling container. If you have moved into an existing residence, a green recycling container should have been left for you to use. If you have moved into a new residence, or there is no container, please call City Hall at 228-1121 for a new one.
List of items that can be recycled
- Yard waste: Grass, leaves and brush (i.e., small branches, twigs) from general yard maintenance are picked up weekly at the curb. Such materials must be placed separately in containers marked “yard waste” or in special paper lawn and leaf bags which can be found at most area stores. Branches no larger than three inches in diameter must be tied with twine in bundles no longer than four feet in length and weigh no more than forty pounds per bundle. If you have an unusually large amount of such items, please alert our contractor at 568-3800 ahead of time. Yard waste is picked up year round.
- Large junk items: If you have a large pickup, please call our waste hauler, Rumpke Sanitation, at 568-3800 so they can alert their crews. Large items (except appliances with Freon), sometimes picked up as a part of “trash day” in other cities, will be picked up at any time. Mattresses and box springs must be completely covered in plastic.
- Items not allowed: According to federal law, Rumpke is not permitted to accept batteries, tires, liquids, combustible materials or any items identified as hazardous. Bulky materials including drywall, concrete, bricks, dirt or rocks are not accepted curbside.